6 Spring Cleaning Tips for a Mold-Free Home
As we begin the joyous season that is spring, thoughts turn to the spring cleaning process. While it’s an ideal time to freshen up the home for the summer, it is also a good time to take preventative measures to fight mold. Spring cleaning is the perfect vehicle to clean and protect critical areas of the home that are vulnerable to mold infestation.
RestoPros recommends every Dallas/Ft. Worth homeowner use their time during spring cleaning to fight mold. Use these tips below to prepare your home for the new season!
Create a Natural Mold Cleaner
- Creating your own natural mold cleaner helps prevent spraying toxic chemicals and VOCs (volatile organic compounds) found in commercial mold cleaners.
- Create a solution using equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle, as vinegar is a natural mold killer, as well as a RestoPros recommended mold-removal product.
- A vinegar-water solution is efficient on both porous and solid surfaces, compared to bleach which cannot clean drywall properly.
Clean Behind Your Major Appliances
- As we have described before, behind most major appliances lies a potential environment for mold growth and should be disinfected during spring cleaning.
- Be sure to unplug your major appliances before cleaning behind them and keep the outlets away from any spray.
- Using the water-vinegar solution, wipe away the stained areas behind your major appliances – and the back of each appliance as well.
- When cleaning the back, be sure to avoid getting solution into an appliance’s interior, as this can potentially damage components.
Disinfect Your Cabinets
- Whether you’re unloading a fresh dishwasher or simply forgot to dry some plates, your cabinet has seen its fair share of moisture.
- Remove all the dinnerware from your cabinets and use the water-vinegar solution to scrub away the interior and exterior of your cabinets.
- Scrub away any grease and deep stains with a sponge to fully eliminate bacteria.
- Allow your cabinets ample time to dry before placing your dinnerware back.
Clean Your Vents
- Besides your supply and return vents being another unexpected place for mold growth, mold spores can also circulate throughout your HVAC system and negatively affect indoor air quality.
- Turn off your HVAC system before cleaning your vents and be sure to use a soft cloth to avoid damaging the vents.
- Clean your vents using the vinegar-water solution, giving a thorough scrub on each blade.
Scrub Your Mattress
- Cleaning your mattress should be an important task during spring cleaning, as mold can easily grow if left unattended. In fact, there are 10 signs that signify mattress mold.
- Vacuum away any initial debris and dust from all sides of your mattress.
- Using cleaners such as hydrogen peroxide or dish soap, spray and scrub all areas of your mattress.
- Once your mattress has been completely scrubbed, deodorize by lightly coating your mattress in baking soda, and giving it a few hours to cleanse.
- After your mattress has been completely deodorized, brush off any excess cleaner, and give the mattress some time to fully dry before placing the cover back.
Kickstart spring with our spring cleaning tips and ensure your home stays mold-free throughout the year! Although we recommend cleaning your home as much as possible, do not hesitate contacting mold-removal experts when you notice a mold infestation. RestoPros provides the leading mold remediation services for Dallas/Ft. Worth homeowners and is your trusted resource when mold growth is present in your home. Give us a call at 855-587-3786 to schedule an appointment.