Mold on Your Indoor Plants: Can It Make You Sick? - RestoPros
mobile navigation
scheduleSCHEDULE
close buttonClose Menu





close buttonClose Menu

CALL
NOW!

855-587-3786

Mold on Your Indoor Plants: Can It Make You Sick?

by Resto Pros on September 18, 2020

Mold on Your Indoor Plants: Can It Make You Sick?

Not all outbreaks of mold inside your house are accidental. Some are brought into the house, taken care of, and watered –  flourishing directly in front of you. This can often happen to houseplants as well as the fertilized soil where they develop. Mold thrives anywhere there is food and dampness in addition to a warm temperature. The soil inside a pot regularly attracts mold stimulated by the rotting leaves and other dead organic matter that falls into the dirt.  Thus, the customary watering given by homeowners can sometimes make the plant an ideal place for mold growth.

Here is what you need to do about mold on your indoor plants:

Wipe the mold off of your plants

Take a soggy paper towel and, while supporting the stems with your fingers so you don’t break them, delicately wipe down the plant leaves to eliminate any surface mold. Additionally, wipe the tail of the plant. Pluck contaminated plant materials and leaves around plants and arrange in the trash to keep from spreading the mold. When using tools to cut infected wood, make sure that you use tea tree oil to sanitize them after use.  Get weeds far from plants, as they can hold creepy crawlies and microbes. Water plants routinely yet keep from overwatering, which can contribute to mold growth. Grow a variety of plants since organisms will in general be plant-specific, and buy ensured disease-free seeds and cuttings whenever the situation allows.

Take the plant outside

Take it outside and splash it with an EPA-registered fungicide that will stop mold growth. You can get guidance from a local nursery about the ideal fungicide for your specific plants. Compound fungicides can be hazardous to different plants, kids, pets and nature. Tea tree oil is a common option used for quite a long time as an antimicrobial for a wide variety of plant problems. When used appropriately, tea tree oil can help control contagious diseases on plants without a large number of the negative symptoms of compound fungicides.

Before bringing the plant again into the house, scoop out the top layer of gardening soil in the pot, diving as deep as possible without harming the roots. Replace this dirt with crisp gardening soil that is sold as “disinfected” to stop mold during creation.

Don’t over-water houseplants

Don’t water your plants too often as excessive moisture can trigger mold growth. Talk to your local nursery professional about the right amount of water for your plants. Also take into account the humidity in your area  – and your home as that is also a factor in mold growth.

Kill the mold with UV light

Bright light present in daylight is an easy and obvious mold inhibitor. Make sure that all of your plants get the suggested exposure they need on a daily basis.

What to do if mold persists

Though mold in plants is relatively easy to take care of, mold in the home is often a different story.  If you are experiencing a mold problem, call us today. Our experienced staff of mold remediation specialists can help with a variety of mold issues. Connect with us in the DFW Metroplex today at 855-587-3786.