How Does Mold Affect My Pet?
You know that mold can have negative side effects in your body, and maybe by now, you know what side effects to be looking for. But do your pets experience the same symptoms? If not, what symptoms should you be looking for in your pets to ensure that they’re staying healthy and that your home is mold-free? Here’s the answer to “How does mold affect my pet?”
Yes, just like humans, pets can get fevers too. When your pet inhales mold spores, fever can be a big side effect. But how can you tell if your pet has a fever? The same way you would measure your own temperature: with a thermometer. However, your pet isn’t going to sit still to get a true reading. That’s why It’s important to take them to the vet if you’re concerned.
- Bloodshot eyes
- Dry nose
- Disinterest in food
Breathing in mold spores can have negative consequences for your pet just as much as it can for you. With that in mind, respiratory issues may be the most telling sign that your pet has been exposed to mold. If you find that your pet is panting and taking rapid, shallow breaths, even while laying down, that could be an indication that they’re having issues breathing.
Coughing has also been linked to mold exposure, in humans as well as pets. If your pet sounds like they’re trying to dislodge something deep inside their throat, then maybe mold is to blame.
Mold exposure causes allergies in people and pets alike. Allergies in pets also have similar symptoms to those we experience. Sneezing is a sign that your pet is experiencing an allergic reaction, and it might just be mold that they’re allergic to.
The trouble is that pets sneeze for a number of reasons: Something tickled them while they were sniffing around, they bumped their nose on something, or they’re trying to indicate that they’re playing and not fighting. Before you jump to the conclusion that your pet is sneezing due to a mold allergy, consider their other symptoms and the events that occurred right before they started sneezing.
This symptom is a little more cut and dry. It’s a sure indication that your pet needs medical attention, if not one that there’s mold in your home. Nasal discharge shows that your pet is pretty sick. While a wet nose is a sign of good health, a leaky nose is a rare sight and easy to spot for that reason.
In extreme cases, your pet may even bleed from their nose or mouth if they’ve been exposed to mold. Nasal discharge is a sign of sickness, but blood is an emergency. Take your pet to the vet right away and have your home inspected by a mold remediation specialist.
Call RestoPros for Mold Inspection & Removal Services
If you even suspect mold may be in your home, contact a professional right away. Mold exposure can be dangerous for both you and your pets, so you should never try to inspect it or remove it yourself. The workers at RestoPros are here to help. Call us today to schedule an appointment!