4 Signs Your Pet Has Been Exposed to Mold - RestoPros
mobile navigation
scheduleSCHEDULE
close buttonClose Menu





close buttonClose Menu

CALL
NOW!

855-587-3786

4 Signs Your Pet Has Been Exposed to Mold

by Resto Pros on June 12, 2020

pet has been exposed to mold

When you became a pet owner, you probably had no idea how much you’d come to love your little fur baby, but now? It’s like your house wouldn’t be a home without them. That’s why you do everything you can to make sure they’re healthy, like buy them the best food, take them to the vet often, and keep them well-groomed. If your pet has been acting strange lately, you might be wondering if they’re having an allergic reaction to mold. Here are 4 signs your pet has been exposed to mold.

 

1.    Itchiness

 

If your pet has been itchier than usual, then it’s possible that they’ve been exposed to mold. The trouble is that lots of things can cause your pet to be itchy, so it can be difficult to narrow down the cause. It could be fleas, ticks, seasonal allergies, or a change in their diet. If you’ve checked your pet for pests and have taken them to the vet to treat their allergies, then it’s possible that they’ve been exposed to mold.

 

2.    Red Patches

 

Red patches are usually a symptom of itchiness but not always. Sometimes skin can become inflamed for other reasons. However, if there are patches of fur missing on your fur baby, then the redness is likely due to scratching. That doesn’t rule out mold as the cause though, as we’ve pointed out above. General inflammation could also be a sign your pet has been exposed to mold.

 

3.    Sneezing

 

Even if they’re not directly in contact with mold, your pets can still be negatively impacted by it. One of the most common allergic reactions is sneezing—nasal itchiness, congestion, and leakage. Again, this can be tricky to discern from other allergies, especially seasonal allergies, but here’s the best way to spot the difference: If your pet is sneezing inside more than they’re sneezing outside, that’s a sign your pet has been exposed to mold.

 

4.    Wheezing

 

The most troubling of all the mold allergy symptoms are the respiratory ones. Mold can cause lung scarring, making the very organs your pet uses to breathe to become less flexible, keeping your pet from taking in deep breaths. Before this occurs, thankfully, there are some warning signs, namely wheezing. If your pet is wheezing, it’s possible that you have mold in your home.

 

Signs of Mold in Your Home

 

Because all of the above symptoms could be tied to other causes, you should do two things before jumping to conclusions: First, take your pet to the vet. They’ll know how to treat the symptoms until you can determine the root of the problem. Second, you should see if there are other signs of mold in your home, like water damage, visible dark mold spots, or any of the above symptoms in your own body. If this yucky stuff in your home (where your pet also lives), then that’s a sure-fire sign your pet has been exposed to mold. Call RestoPros to have the mold expertly treated and removed.